Saturday 24 October 2015

Is it okay to be a virgin in today's society?


After having an in-depth conversation with some of my flat mates, hearing how them being a virgin creates such a buzz, I decided I wanted to write a blog post on this topic.

Stereotypically, in my generation, we loose our virginity at the age of 16. But for a lot of people, they want to keep their virginity safe. Being in University, a lot of the conversations people have involve sex, whether it's playing a drinking game, or just having a general chat, sex is always involved in some way. Why is it that being a virgin is such a shock?

In some way, when I lost my virginity, part of it was because all of my friends had, and I was the only one in the group who hadn't. That's not the right mentality to have. I think it's so strong for people who have not had sex to stand by that, and show everyone that just because they aren't following what everyone is doing, it makes them no different what so ever. It doesn't make them frigid. It doesn't make them sexually unattractive. It doesn't make them oblivious to what sex is.

Before writing this I read through a few websites which talked about being virgin. One website write a pro's and con's list about being a virgin and quoted this in the con's section- ' When you’re 20 and still a virgin you feel as though you’re missing out on the big secret. Everyone is doing it and you’re the outcast who’s not. ' An outcast? Really?

So in my opinion, yes I think that being a virgin is more than okay in today's society. But many people in this generation think it's something that they can joke about. Just remember that they aren't aliens, they are exactly the same as us, they just haven't done one thing that is apparently the most important thing in a teenagers life.

Saskia x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mind Over Matter | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig