Monday 30 November 2015

Fashion does Hurt

So this morning I had such an interesting lecture about the environment, ethics and exploitation of the fashion industry.

First of all we learnt about how fashion can ruin the environment from making cotton to creating the perfect jean. Fast fashion has been the main cause in the environments destruction. I learnt that millions of farmers and workers are hospitalised each year during the production process of making cotton and the cotton industry also uses forced labour. Although we love our denim jeans, the dyes (from China) which make those amazing shades of blue are toxic, polluting the surrounding waters, causing a higher percentage in cancer than anywhere in the world.




One of the main reasons why I decided to study fashion was because I want to change the way that people think about the 'norm' in fashion. Although I do enjoy flicking through glossy magazines with stunning models with slim figures, I feel that bigger women are not looked at in a positive way. Fashion has many consequences, especially being a women and being exposed to so many photoshopped images every day, you seek perfection. I found out that 90% of women have depression or anxiety because of their body image, and 50% of women smoke because it suppresses their appetite. This actually shocks me. I myself have and still have issues with my body - always thinking that different parts of my body don't look right in what I'm wearing daily. I admire models which are considered 'big', (although I don't agree they are big) and their strength to go against people in the fashion industry that say that 'big' is not beautiful.    
                                                                 
                       

Another topic that we looked at was exploitation of models. I learnt that the photographer Terry Richardson is known for over-exposing models to create a very sexual orientated image. In some ways, this type of photography is viewed as fashionable, but also exploiting women's bodies in such a way can lead to harsh comments and abuse. Imagine if a child saw this image, what would they be thinking?




There are many bad sides to fashion which are not properly highlighted and explained. Just because a women (or man) looks perfect on a glossy magazine page, does not mean that, that is what they look like in real life. Just because a woman has her legs open in an image does not mean they are a 'slag' or  a 'whore'. And think twice before you buy something from a shop, think about how was this product made, were people killed during the process, were innocent children hurt?

I am not saying that the fashion industry is all bad, there are many positives to the industry. But I feel strongly that the negative side should be shown!

Saskia x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mind Over Matter | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig