Wednesday 9 December 2015

Precious (Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire) - Film Review


When I have my lazy days I tend to flick through Netflix for about an hour trying to find something that I want to watch, and eventually I will find something! Today I came across this film Precious (Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire) which is about a 16 year old girl in Harlem, U.S called Claireece 'Precious' Jones who is illiterate and overweight. Claireece was constantly raped by her biological father since she was a little girl, ending up with two children at only 16. Her mother, well, you can hardly call her a mother. She beat Claireece verbally and physically and believes that education is a waste of time. 

Claireece finds a safe haven within an alternative school where she learns to read and write, and also makes her a much stronger person throughout the film. How can a 16 year old go through so much and still manage to go to school and learn, look after a baby, and try to live as normal a life as possible? 


''I'm gonna break through or somebody gonna break through to me.''


Every 2 minutes in the U.S someone is sexually assaulted, 1 out of 6 American women have been the victim of attempted or complete rape in her lifetime. 29% of rape in the U.S are 12-17 years old, these girls are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression, 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress and 26 times more likely to abuse drugs. (If you want to know more facts please visit this website http://www.rccmsc.org/resources/get-the-facts.aspx

I truly believe that the women who survive this are unbelievably brave. To go through such a traumatic experience and still manage to go on with their lives like Claireece, its incredible. I 100% recommend this amazing film, it will bring you to tears and open up your mind.





Saskia x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mind Over Matter | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig